Saturday, April 21, 2012

Egg Drop Soup

Recently, we have made (American) Asian food. A few weeks ago, we were struggling with what to have for dinner. We didn't want our usual teriyaki sauce, but we didn't want a super peanutty sauce either. So I came up with a Peanut Teriyaki Sauce, and boy, was it good! The problem is, I didn't write down all my measurements, so I don't have exact measurements. Next time I make it, I will be more exact and then share it :)

The real gem here is my egg drop soup. I made this for our sushi dinner with family that was in town for Keli's graduation. I think it was a hit. I loved it, and it seemed like everyone else did too. So... here we go :)

Egg Drop Soup (serves 8-10)



 9 c chicken broth, divided
1/4 t ground ginger
1/4 c + 2 T green onions, chopped (about 3 green onions)
1/2 t salt (omit if using boullion)
3 T corn starch
6 eggs
1/4 t pepper
2 t lemon zest
1 T soy sauce
1 T sugar
1 8-oz can water chestnuts, drained
6 oz snow peas, cut in bite-sized pieces

1. Boil 8 1/4 c chicken broth with the ginger, green onions, salt, and lemon zest.
2. Meanwhile, mix the remaining 3/4 c chicken broth with the cornstarch, pepper, soy sauce, and sugar. Stir until smooth.
3. When step 1 is boiling, add step 2 mixture, stirring until combined.
4. Beat the eggs in a separate bowl. Add to boiling mixture in a steady stream, stirring with fork to separate egg pieces.
5. Add water chestnuts and snow peas.
6. Heat through.
7. Eat!!

** the reason the picture of the soup is in a crockpot is because I put it in the crockpot to keep warm until we ate dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment